Flourless Chocolate Cake
This Flourless Chocolate Cake made with almonds is a moist and fudgy dessert. This recipe is developed by Carol Fenster and can be found with countless other delicious recipes in her cookbook, 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes
Yield: 1 cake
• 2 cups whole almonds (measure before grinding)
• 1 cup packed light brown sugar
• 4 to 5 large eggs, at room temperature
• ½ cup canola oil (or melted butter)
• ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder – Dutch process
• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon table salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch nonstick (gray, not black) springform pan. Line the bottom with wax paper or parchment paper and grease again; set aside.
2. Grind nuts with brown sugar in a food processor to a fine, mealy texture.
3. Add the eggs, oil, cocoa, vanilla extract, and almond extract and process 30 to 40 seconds. Scrape down the side of bowl and process 30 more seconds.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (The cake rises as it bakes, then falls slightly as it cools.) Let cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Cut around the edge to loosen the cake from pan edges. Release the pan side; remove the paper liner. Serves 10 (small slices) Garnish with your favorites such as whipped cream, powdered sugar, chocolate syrup, ice cream, or caramel sauce.
Printed with permission from 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes by Carol Fenster (Wiley, 2008)