- A classic Thanksgiving side dish… made gluten-free style! Make sure to check out our “How-To” cooking video for Kathleen's additional tips for making this recipe a holiday keeper!
4 cups of gluten-free bread cubes (check label for allergens!)
2/3 stick butter (1/3 cup) – plus extra to grease baking pan
1/3 cup chopped onions
½ cup chopped celery (add in some of the green leafy parts)
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ pound ground sweet sausage (check label for allergen!)
2 eggs, beaten well
1 teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
Chicken stock - about 1-2 cups (Check label for allergens!)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Cut gluten-free bread, rolls, etc. into ½ to 1” cubes. Place on a baking sheet and let stand for several hours, uncovered, to become dry and crusty.
- Cook sausage in large skillet. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Sauté the onions and celery, until softened. Season well with salt & pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked sausage, onion/celery mixture with the dried bread cubes, eggs, sage and poultry seasoning.
- SLOWLY add in broth a bit at a time to moisten well.
- Grease covered shallow covered casserole pan.
- Place stuffing mixture in casserole pan and cook COVERED for 35-45 minutes. Check halfway through the cooking time to see if more chicken broth or bread crumbs need to be added. Take the cover OFF to brown top during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Serve immediately. Serves 6.